Monday, November 23, 2015

Thankful Thanksgiving

This was Mother's Day a few years ago.  Our church had set up a picture booth for families. This picture makes me laugh when I look at it.  Sunday mornings are always the HARDEST part of our entire week.  My kids generally throw fits, They wear school uniforms throughout the week, so they get to express their individual style on weekends - and I have just given up the fight.  What you don't see in the picture are Lily's holes in her leggings...Luke's shirt 5 times too big (it's actually an adult size), Emma is wearing a turtle neck with shorts...and me - ya...no time for makeup, hair, or even a shower.  

Thanksgiving break is starting today at 3:30.  Typically, we do a thankful tree every year.  The kids write
things they are thankful for on construction paper leaves, and we place them on branches in a vase.  By Thanksgiving, our tree is full.  But as the years go on and we become busier, I find that sitting down making construction paper leaves doesn't fall really high on the priority list.

But today, at 3:30...it's starting.  I'm getting each kid a journal.  And each day they will write what they are thankful for.  When they argue, I will make them write what they are thankful for about the other person.  When they complain, I will have them write what they are thankful for in their life.  When they ask for something, before I answer them, I will have them write what they are thankful about what they already have.

I look at this picture, and I see a really, really tired mommy who could very easily get lost in how she feels she deserves to look prettier, have more sleep...get a break.  But I also see a happy couple - who despite our trials are strong.  I see 4 children that despite their horrid taste in free dress, are happy and healthy.  I see closeness.  I see love.

And I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment