Saturday, November 21, 2015

Rulers, Refugees and Religion


Weird title, huh?

We started making our rulers when my husband was very sick.  He had lost the ability to use his leg and was in severe nerve pain.  For months we had no income.  Not one penny.  I remember praying on my knees in the shower for God to provide for our family.  I had faith, but it was beginning to waver.  That day, from different resources, we miraculously were given over 1500 dollars...from strangers.

It was Christmas time and we would have people show up at our home with presents for our kids, food on our porch, money in Christmas cards from anonymous people - and even once, someone I never had seen showed up with a huge gallon jar full of money and gift cards for groceries.  From that moment, we knew we needed to continue giving to others to remember how grateful we were that God provided for us.

So, for the last 4 years we have donated rulers, money, time to organizations that support kids and families that are hurting.  From families whose child had just been diagnosed with Leukemia, to families who were losing their home and were about to lose everything (including their precious measurements on their door frame.)  We have donated to organizations that help at risk teens to ones who give kids with cancer technology to pass the time while getting treatment.  Generosity has changed our life - we want our generosity to help change others.

Now, the refugee crisis.  My kids were made aware of the problem, that there were thousands and thousands of children who were scared and without homes and warm clothes.  My son quickly made a video with my husband's phone and had me post it to FB to ask my friends to donate and we would ship the stuff over to Greece.  Within days, we had the local paper and the news station at our home and my kids school to interview them.  One month later, our basement was full with donations and a shipping company came forward and shipped everything over to Greece for us for free!  Generosity again.

Kids getting interviewed for the news
I don't have all the answers, but I believe I know the ANSWER.  We believe in Jesus.  We believe he said to love Him and love others.  He didn't set parameters on who others were - just others...which makes me believe He meant everyone.  I know that we have to be cautious (which I believe we are) about who we let into our country - but I know there are kids who are hurting.    And since our family, our business has been greatly impacted by other people's generosity, we need to help.  One of my favorite theologians, Mr. Rogers said, "When I was a boy and I would see scary things on the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers.  You will always find people who are helping."  I want to be a helper, I want our business to be helpers - I want to raise children who are helpers - who love others.

We celebrated our 4 year business anniversary last week - thank you for supporting our family purchasing almost 5000 rulers!  You have greatly impacted many people from your purchases...we are indebted.

www.keepsakerulers.com



No comments:

Post a Comment